Thank you so much for all your comments, emails and calls. I appreciate the virtual hug from around the world. I know the news reports about the nuclear power plants are concerning, but we are in no danger here. There is no plan to evacuate us because even if "the worst" happens, we are not close enough to be affected. In fact, Yokota Air Base will be the hub for all Department of Defense rescue and relief efforts for the disaster. However, if there is ever a need, the Air Force always has a plan to get everyone and their dog out (literally!)
There is no plan right now for Jon to come home early. They have assessed the situation and decided that the training mission they are doing is important enough not to cancel. I am sure they will bring them back if they are needed. There are still people at the squadron helping with the relief efforts 24 hours a day. We have also started receiving a lot of military and aid workers from around the world.
Tomorrow we will start experiencing scheduled blackouts so that power can be redistributed to the areas that are hardest hit. Please be patient with me as I try to respond to emails and facebook messages. I REALLY love hearing from everyone and I appreciate the comments and I will respond as I can. I am going to start posting most of my updates directly to the blog rather than on facebook. It will be easier for me to have one place to post information and helpful for those who aren't on facebook.
A lot of rumors circulated around base this weekend as people were trying to figure out what comes next. I went to the commissary and got gas today and there were long lines for both. The commissary has plenty of most things, but when I was there they were pretty much out of toilet paper, water, batteries, and bread. Luckily, we have plenty of all of these. I think as word spread about the damage throughout Japan, people realized they were not as prepared for an emergency as they should have been. I also think that some people were buying supplies for their Japanese friends and family off base as well. I am sure the shelves will be restocked soon.
We had a town hall meeting today to answer any questions and resolve concerns. Here is a summary of the updates today from our base commander:
We are in NO danger from the power plants, Air is clean, water is safe to drink, food is plentiful. It's business as usual for medical and emergency services as well as Post Office. There is no gas ration, schools will be open and prepare for scheduled power outages. Be vigilant and flexible and continue to work hard.
Again, please continue to pray for those who lost their loved ones and their homes, as well as to the men and women of Yokota who are working extra long hours for relief efforts.
Thank you for all of your love and concern!
| In an emergency you don't want to be without TP! |
1 comment:
Thanks for the updates Em, I really appreciate it. We keep you and all of Japan in our prayers. You are so brave. Stay strong.
Post a Comment