23 March 2011

We could learn a lot from the Japanese

This news story is a little older, but I think it is still worth posting. I have been so impressed with how the Japanese people have handled this tragedy. We could learn a lot from their sense of community and responsibility. Most of the blackouts in our area get canceled because people have conserved enough power on their own so that the blackout is not necessary. There has been no looting at all, which is impressive when you consider a fact I heard today: The damage from the earthquake and tsunami is 5 TIMES that of Hurricane Katrina in a country the size of California. We have only been here a little over four months, but I have so much love and respect for the Japanese people.

Here is the article, but you should also watch the video: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/japan-victims-show-resilience-earthquake-tsunami-sign-sense/story?id=13135355

No comments: