17 March 2011

Voluntary Departures

No doubt you will hear the news this morning that the State Department is organizing a VOLUNTARY departures for some employees and dependents in North East Japan. No one is being held here against their will. They are simply providing a way for those who want to leave, to leave. Basically, they are organizing additional flights for Americans to use if they so choose. We are still safe here. I cannot speak for other areas of Japan, but we are in no danger here at Yokota from the power plants. They continue to monitor the air and water and show no increased levels of radiation. I am at peace about our safety here. I feel like we are getting all the information we need to make informed decisions. Of course, every day brings new information and we will make choices as things evolve. I also want to discuss this with Jon and make a decision together about what is best for our family. I am confident that the Air Force has a plan to evacuate us in a safe and orderly manner if our heath and safety ever become at risk.

Because I know  that in the US the only voices you have to listen to are the news media, I thought it might help you to read a message I received tonight from our leadership here:

Eagle Airlifters and Spouses,

There has been a lot of questions about the Department of State (DoS) voluntary departure.  Here is the best information that I have been able to put together on the situation so far.

Before I get into any details, I want to reiterate that here at Yokota, the water is safe, the air is good,  food is available, the lights are still on and everyone has a roof over their head.  The radiation monitoring has not detected any increased levels on Yokota and the crews and airplanes that are flying relief supplies into northern Honshu have not been exposed to any increased levels either.  Other than the roads being a little congested off base, the little slice of real estate that we call Yokota AB is operating just like it did a month ago and is just as safe.

I cut the next two paragraphs from the State Department website to make sure that I reference the facts:
The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo informs U.S. citizens in Japan who wish to depart that the Department of State is making arrangements to provide transportation to safehaven locations in Asia. This assistance will be provided on a reimbursable basis, as required by U.S. law. U.S. citizens who travel on US government-arranged transport will be expected to make their own onward travel plans from the safehaven location.

U.S. forces remain in Japan and the U.S. has full capability to fulfill our alliance commitments to defend Japan and maintain peace and security in the region. The Department of Defense will implement the Dept. of State-approved voluntary departure for eligible DoD dependents. As with State Dept. dependents, these measures are temporary, and dependents will return when the situation is resolved. Eligible DoD dependents will be given travel instructions by their local commands.

The Wing is working on a plan so that those that wish to leave can do so in an orderly fashion.   I do not recommend making any hasty decisions to depart and I want to emphasize that the safehaven could be the gym floor at one of the bases farther south or accommodations that aren’t nearly as comfortable as your current quarters.   I’ll be candid and tell you my family isn’t going anywhere .  The situation here is stable and safe and nothing indicates that will change.  If you wish to leave, the base will do everything possible to move you in an expeditious manner to minimize the distraction to our primary mission.  We’re still moving supplies to the affected areas and helping people to get fresh water, fuel for heat, and blankets to stay warm.  The Eagle Airlifters are the only tactical airlifters in the western Pacific, this is what we train to do on a daily basis and we’re doing great work.

As I get more information on how the base will implement the voluntary departure, I will get that information out as soon as possible. Rumors are rampant and I’m working to get the ground truth put out as frequently as possible.  Please don’t contribute to the rumor mill and remember that each base in the Tokyo area will implement this plan a little differently. 

No comments: